Here's my question: I've been cautioned that with this method there is a
risk that the pricking might not stay exactly "vertical" but might
eventually work its way slightly diagonal.

Is this really a problem/risk? If so, how can I avoid it?

Hi Barbara:

I've made 2 lengths of 5 metres on a roller pillow with prickings that were larger than the bolster, and I did sometimes have trouble with the pricking walking to one side. Mine tended to walk to the left if it was not firmly pinned to the bolster ahead of the work. I suspect it was something to do with me being right-handed - perhaps I don't put the pins in straight up and down, or am more forceful when pinning from the right.

I put two pins (one each side) into the bolster as far ahead as I can conveniently reach without having to disturb the bolster. When I reach the pins, I just move them ahead again. These pins not only work to keep the pattern in place - they're also striver pins!

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)