We made this series of flower pictures/projects for
table decorations for conference last year.  They had
to be freestanding for the center of the tables rather
than framed for hanging, as in the book.

We bent wire into a square just barely larger than the
lace (so the lace would fit inside the square), with
the wire ends overlapped at the center bottom and
turned down for a couple inches, about 2 inches apart.
 The bases were wood, about 2-1/2 x 8 inches.  Two
holes were drilled where the turned-down wires touched
the wood, and the wire ends inserted.  (The wires were
painted the same color as the basic thread so they
would look almost part of the lace.)

The lace was attached to the wire with an overcast
thread.

One of our people had made a simple wooden frame as a
test, but it was a bit bulky for our purpose.  The
edge boards on it had interlocking cutout sections so
it would be firm when glued.  I think that's the way
your purchased frame is made.

I had seen a lace piece framed in wire on a webpage
about an exhibit in Germany.  It looked so nice that I
had to try it with our lace pieces.  I thought it
worked very well.

Best of luck with your faming, Jean.  Hope it works
correctly this time.

Alice in Oregon -- wet and chilly so far this year