Sue,

I have used magic threads.  And I don't think I would like the 'excess' of a
piece of Styrofoam on my pillow.

What I did was use threads in the color of the rainbow:  red, orange, yellow,
green, blue, indigo, violet  or
'Roy G Biv".  By just remembering the 'Roy G Biv', you know the order they
should be worked no matter how many times you need to move the anchor pin and
threads as you proceed around the design.

If necessary (you need more than 7 threads, just repeat the sequence.  I used
pale shades of the colors to avoid 'lint' build up.  I learned this 'rainbow
sequence' many years ago in some other craft.

Lorri
Graham, WA  USA  where it is very cold and some locations are getting snow.

   I wonder if it would help to pin them into a strip of styrofoam.  It seems
  me that it would then be an easy matter to move them around the pillow as
  the work progressed!!  Does this sound a good idea?  I would appreciate
  comments.

  Sue Fink