OK, so now I've tied off all the ends and and taken all the pins out of my
edging, time to think about mounting the lace...

Les Lauriers is a heavy, "furnishing" lace made in thick linen thread (Moravia
40 in a lovely creamy ecru - it has a gorgeous sheen), no way is it going to
gather daintily (in any case I want it to lie flat, not least so that vases
and so forth placed on the mat don't fall over and tip their contents onto
it!)

So the lace and the fabric need to fit each other perfectly and stay that way
- no shrinkage of either allowed after the lace is mounted. Pre-shrinking the
fabric is easy - just put it through the washing machine and press carefully
afterwards (Do DMC embroidery linens need shrinking anyway, or are they sold
ready-shrunk? I would expect embroiderers to get pretty cross if their hard
work gets shrunk when washed)  - but what about the lace? Does it need to be
washed to shrink it, or will leaving it to shrink after the pins are taken
out be enough? How long would it need leaving?

mmm, that thread about mangling just surfaced again - do our experts reckon
mangling suits a heavy beds/cluny lace? It certainly needs something to
persuade some of the leaves into 2D rather than 3D format!

Yours,
Beth

(In a rainy Cheshire, England, with storms forecast for tomorrow - it's not
cold enough to get snow this far south, but I'd better watch out for
low-flying trees)