I got the following reply back from the seller:

"The item is approx 5" long, however responses have been interesting. The general feeling is that it is not for lace making, so this leaves me at a loss at to what exactly it is.

"We found various items under our floorboards during renovation of our 16th Century house, the floorboards had not been lifted in a very long time! I took the item to an antique fair 10 years ago and was advised that it was used for lace making! As I am no expert, I could only go with what I was advised at the time. I have revised the listing and hope very much that someone may come up with some advice as to what exactly it is! We originally thought it might be a childs skittle, however, there appears to be numerous, deliberate holes in the carving and it is hollow, with the largest opening in the bottom. It seems that something should be thread through the holes - perhaps for weaving maybe? as a weight?

"Whatever it is it has fascinated me for the last 10 years but I am due to move house soon and am parting with quite a lot of things at the moment."

Malvary in Ottawa (the Nations capital), Canada