Seems like I have a notion of seeing a pair of HM QEI's gloves with gold
lace trim in a display of gloves somewhere in my previous life bc
(before children).  I keep thinking it was at Rougemont House in Exeter,
which I think at the time (and maybe still is) part of the V&A.  It was
a fascinating display and there was a lovely pair of white leather
gloves (going from my memory of something I saw in 1989) that had gold
bobbin lace still on it.  I remember being rather awestruck for a number
of reasons, 1 of which was the age and delicate state of the gloves and
2, who they'd been worn by.

It's not technically wire, but the thread was gold.  From memory, it
didn't appear to be wrapped around a fiber core, which would fit with
Jeri's comments.

Cheers,
Helen, in exceedingly chilly Denver where it's still below 0F at 8.20am.