Gentle Spiders,

My Lace (the quartely publication of the Lace Guild, UK) arrived today (is it late or am I off a month in my expectations?) I've only skimmed through it so far -- it's twice the size of the IOLI Bulletin, at 64 pages -- but, even so, noticed some familiar names, like Jean Nathan on the cover with her Jack of Diamonds variations; congratulations, Jean N! And another of Janice Blair's "cute confections"-- this time an Easter Bunny "sprouting" from the bottom half of a (very spring-like) Easter egg, perky moustache, bowtie an'all.

But what really got my pulses racing was a pair of articles -- one from an Arachnean Jean Leader -- on reconstruction. Jean's article illustrates the reconstruction of 3 pieces of Freehand lace, from photo (or sample) through sketch, to new lace (and diagrams of tricky spots). Very informative, especially since I believe that Freehand lace techniques are particularly closely related to those of the earliest plaited laces. Thanks, Jean L!

The second article -- by Gil Dye -- reconstructs an early plaited lace, from a 1585 portait. Reconstructing from a painting has, to me, always bordered on a miracle. How on earth does one determine what kind of action to take (a windmill crossing? a partial crossing? all pairs through all pairs in cloth?), based only on a painting? No matter how close you can get to the source, no matter how good your magnifying glass... your guesses will be only as good as the painter's skill had been, and, since the painter wasn't a lacemaker, pitfalls yawn wide...

It's much more dicey, IMO, than using a woodcut as a pricking :)

What's even more interesting to me personally is the *timing*...

Here I've been, for a couple of months, discussing old laces in the Met with Devon and a few others and thinking about -- *maybe* -- trying my hand at reproducing some of the simpler ones. Which led me to getting Burkhard's "Faszinierendes Klöppeln" as a second (after the laser printer/copier/scanner) Christmas gift to myself (the book was *that* expensive, what with the shipping from Belgium :) But I think it was the only copy available for purchase at this late date and I'm eternally obliged to Arachne for helping me locate it).

I was still at the stage of "digesting" Burkhard, at a leisurely pace (had other things on the front burner), when Orla mentioned sewings "all over the place" in a *plaited* Le Pompe pattern, and it didn't sound right. So, all of a sudden, I've pushed everything else to the back burner and have been working on that pattern ever since (one repeat done, but looks like dog's dinner. Hopefully, with my own semi-diagrams, the second repeat will be neater, since there'll be less guesswork and more uniformity). And, all that time, Lace was on its way to me, with two articles on the same or related subject...

Deborah Robinson (the Editor of Lace) once called such sudden "erruption" of a subject, propelled by forces from different directions, "morphic resonance". Others call it "synchronicity". Call it what you will, I find it freaky-scary :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/