Because Morris and Ruskin and the rest of the "head in the clouds" crowd

Let's not forget that it was not Ruskin who started Ruskin lace, it was Marion Twelves, the housekeeper of one of his associates (Albert Fleming), who helped develop a flax-spinning & weaving industry, and then developed and taught the methods of cutting and embroidering the woven fabric to create "Ruskin Lace" in imitation of what was then known as Greek Lace.

I think Ruskin and the others were similar to today's activists, who preach about how we should live without actually interesting themselves in setting out the framework to make it possible for people to live that way. Good at theories, but not at the nuts-and-bolts stage of change.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)