[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Now the button collector , who mentioned that she is familiar with crochet
> buttons ,and myself are rather  curious if there are, or if anyone has ever
> heard of,  Lace buttons ?
>
> Hendrika
> Member of Simcoe County Lacemakers
> Simcoe County (township of Springwater) Canada
------------------------------
Yes, Hendrika, there are lace buttons.  Subject was discussed on Arachne
12/20/99.  Two very nice books:

"50 Heirloom Buttons to Make"
By Nancy Nehring
Taunton Press (Which publishes the magazine "Threads"
List price $20 in U.S.
ISBN 1-56158-146-1
1996, 113 pages, paper cover, many color photos

Buttons made using following techniques or materials: Braid (based on
needlelace designs and sailor's knots using braid), cord, crochet, darned net
(on
tulle), Dorset (a needlelace technique), fabric, frog closures, knotted, Leek
(thread wrapped and needle-woven on button form), needlelace, ribbon,
shirtwaist
(a needlelace), Teneriffe (lace made, then mounted on button mold), Victorian
woven, and others.

Interesting comment in text:  "During the Middle Ages, after the
establishment of artisan guilds......button makers belonged to the same guild
as
lacemakers, and naturally, lacemaking techniques were incorporated into
buttons."
----------------
"The Button Craft Book"
By Dawn Cusick
Sterling/Lark
List price $25 in U.S., $35 in Canada
ISBN 0-8069-3197-3
1995,  128 pages, hard cover, many color photos

Instructions for how to make buttons, and clothes/crafted items made with the
buttons.
There are instructions in a variety of other books.  However, I think these
two will give you a good start on the history and how the buttons are made and
used.  These should be easy to borrow from a library or purchase in Canada.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center