Reading the tips on taking photos of pieces of lace made me think of something my husband does when he takes digital photos of his model soldiers, he is an amateur military historian and we have a house full of the things in all shapes and sizes, he paints them in scrupulously correct uniform colours and plays wargames with them.

I thought this idea might be useful if anyone has made lace flowers or something similar that needs to be stood up to photograph to best effect. My husband uses an extra large cardboard box from the supermarket with one end taped closed and lines the inside with black cartridge paper on all sides. Then he uses the open end of the box to put the camera just inside the box on a little tripod and pulls the flaps of the box around so that he cuts out as much light as possible at that end. It works very well with his figures so should work with pieces of upright lace too. You could perhaps prop a piece or drape flat pieces of lace up against a small box or something placed under black fabric inside the box, a fan could be put onto a fan stand that has a piece of dark fabric tucked over and into it to make a background for the fan.

The box needs to be large enough to allow you to get your forearms into the open end so that you can make adjustments to the camera etc.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.