Hello Jane and all spiders ,

Calella is a location 50 Km. from Barcelona on Costa Brava coast. It is not a lace center though a lace day Fair takes place every year, usually in September, at seaside.

Very near Calella and 40 Km. from Barcelona, is the village of Arenys de Mar where since 1700's had developed a great tradition working Catalonian blonde or Ret-fi. You can visit there, its Lace Museum (Museu Mares de les Puntes). More information:
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/lacecat.html
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/mares.html

Jane you are a lucky person as the Great Lace Fair: "The lacemaker Day", will take place this year next 29th April in Lloret de Mar, which is located on this part of the coast and very near to the above mentioned villages, so maybe you enjoy it if your visit to Barcelona matches with the date.

Other interesting informations in Barcelona:

The Textiles and Dress Museum, where it is located the Lacemakers School (the school is not open to visits) In the Museum there are a lot of important laces, shawls and spanish mantillas).

Monastery of Pedralbes (12th., 13th., century) it is very interesting not only by its architecture but for the 3 or 4 pieces of very old laces displayed inside (Point of Spain laces).

Craftshop in Barcelona:
CASA FELIX - Plaza Villa de Madrid nÂș 4.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Barcelona and Spain, and feel free to ask privately for any more information.

I'm writing to ask if anyone can give me information about lacemaking in two
parts of Spain: Calella (and I don't even know where that is) and Barcelona
(where I'm going with a friend in April).

Greetings from Barcelona. Spain.

Carolina
--
Carolina de la Guardia