Brenda wrote:

<Has anyone else looked at the back of the new UK 20 pound notes?

There's a portrait of Adam Smith 1723-1790 and the words
"The division of labour in pin manufacturing:
(and the great increase in quantity of work that results)"
plus a drawing of the various stages of pin manufacture in the 18th
century.>

Brenda that bit of information came in very useful at Poole Bobbin Lace Day today.

Christine Prentis (prefers to be called Chris) gave the illustated talk on the silver and gold metal lace she made for the new Shakespeare Globe Theatre and the way the costume are made exactly as they were in Shakespeare's time ie they were pinned together on the actor using a great number of pins. She mentioned in passing that Adam Smith had written a treatise on the division of pin manufacturing. I was able to add the information about the 20 pound note. I was asked if I was going to pass it round along with the photos she was showing us! She's going to include that in her future talks.

I did tell her it was Brenda who brought it to the attention of Arachne.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK (who spent a small fortune even though she didn't "need" anything)