In one of the replies, someone pointed out the _Victorian-era_ as the likely
source of naming 'lace somethings'

Speaking of that, the 'lacemaker' made an appearance in a humourous context
( Lewis Carroll's beaver making lace), and seque-ing to the current day,
there is a reference to a university position 'something-or-other Lacemaker'
which was delightful, except I can't find the exact quote - in a Terry
Pratchett world.

(that's my jigsaw ergo puzzle content, remotely lace ~)

> In a private post from Malvary (my sister) she made the comment
>
> > Your question about Queen Ann Lace certainly generated a lot of messages
> > but didn't really answer your question
>
> Yes, I noticed that!  What I was more interested in "is there any way to
> work
> out when plant names first became lace somethings", ie before that lace

bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)