So the reference to using Queen Anne's lace for cow parsley (in a book set in
the UK) in the 1500s was, as I suspected, incorrect.  My instinct that is was
incorrect was because lace hadn't been around long enough, and called 'lace'
as a generic term, for the word and concept of it to have seeped into general
usage enough for unrelated things it to be commonly compared to it.

The next book in the series, starting in 1638, has the govenor of VIrginia
wearing some 'worn, gold lace' which is fine, but elsewhere something is
described as lacey/lacelike.  Now, if it's an author's description that's OK,
but if
it's the thought of a character it might not be; it depends on how much that
character might have been aware of lace.  It is a man watching a fire, seeing
the twigs burn to leave a "skeletal lace of dried ash"; perhaps a "skeletal
cobweb" might have been be a better comparison to use.   This example is
borderline I know, and I am being a pedant to have spotted it, but it
illustrates the
way my mind was working when I saw Queen Anne's lace a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, thanks to Bridget, Bev and Robin for the historical input.
Jacquie, in Lincolnshire