Jenny De Angelis wrote:
The other reason is that when a young couple got engaged to be married the boy, being a poorly paid agricultural worker and the girl a poorly paid lacemaker, no one could afford an engagement ring so he would give his sweetheart a button from his waistcoat instead and she would include that button in one of her spangles.
I have an old inscribed bobbin that says, "love forget no not me" and has a military button on it.
Debbie in Florida