... what a privilege it is to live in a town that has a local Lace Group. It is not the normal occurance for lacemakers here in the states, and even when one is nearby, it isn't always possible to go to the meetings. Today I was able to attend a meeting of the Jacksonville Lacers, and what a sweet time it was! Several ladies were working on Milanese lace by watching a class on a DVD. I had not seen this kind of lace up close and "in the flesh", so it was a treat just to see it. One of the members brought a copy of the IOLI bulletin, so that was passed around and all the appropriate oohs and aahs were offered. Another member had been out of the country, where she had met someone who sold her some very old lacemaking books ... one in French from the 1920's...the other one in Italian, patterns included. Someone was working on a Torchon fan, and another was working on a beginner's strip. I brought a friend and she walked away with a new confidence that maybe she "could do this".

There was more talk than lacemaking, but I seem to remember that being part of every lace group I've attended over the years. I didn't realize .how much I missed it.

I am looking forward to making this a more regular part of my plans ... the encouragement is priceless! I hope you are all able to attend a lace group at least once ... and if you are able to go all the time, count your blessings!!

Debbie in Florida