If you look at a map of England Scotland and Wales, most of the current flooding is in the middle to the right of Wales. The average rainfall there for July is around 35mm (1.4 inches), but 135 mm (5.3 inches) fell in one 24 hour period with more rain added to it on other days. Last week it was further up above Wales and there's some to the left of London.

We're all getting a lot of rain, but fortunately most of us haven't had the real deluges that this area got.

Some of the areas that are flooded have no power and no clean water. Bottled water is being taken in where people can still stay in the area. Many communities have been evacuated, including one elderly lady who was thrilled to have been saved by being winched into a helicopter while cuddling her dog. Helicopters are being used a lot for evacuation, as are boats.

We were shown one man who refused to leave because he was afraid his dog would drown - he and his dog were safely rescued. A young woman was really upset when she managed to get to her house to find her two cats had drowned.

Many people have lost everything and a large number have no flood insurance, either because they didn't think it would happen to them or because they didn't realise (some because their houses had been built on a flood plain, and that is going to continue to be done). The water in some places was over the roofs of cars.

If any Arachneans are in the flooded areas, they're unlikely to be able to contact the list, but I'm sure we all wish them well anyway.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK