At 02:09 AM 18/10/2007, Kate Henry wrote:
A good teacher can work with bobbins wound in any direction. Kate Henry
Indiana USA

It doesn't matter which way the bobbins are wound, providing that the hitch is done accordingly in order that it will hold the thread. That said, it's then just a matter of which way you unwind the thread, which only takes a minute to get used to when teaching.

However, it is much easier and saves a lot of time if all students have their bobbins wound the same way. Thus, when they collect their instructions for the course, I always have very clear diagrams of the way I prefer my bobbins wound.
David in Ballarat