Point de Fee is a relatively late comer to the family of continental laces which were made in Belgium and parts of France. In the mid to late 18th century, the lace designs had gone from formal florals to more fanciful motifs, and these included animals, (hunt scenes were particularly popular) and themes from exotic places (the Orient was a fascinating source of inspiration). It is my impression that "Point de Fee" is a descriptor that can apply to Binche or Mechlin or a number of other related fine laces, and loosely translated means fanciful lace.
I know there are some experts on this list who will correct me (I hope), if I've gotten this wrong! Clay -- Clay Blackwell Lynchburg, VA USA -------------- Original message -------------- From: "Sue Babbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > I am demonstrating at the Chicago Botanic Garden this weekend and had a > query about some > Point de Fée lace which one of the ladies had been given. I'm afraid I > didn't have any knowledge of this lace. Can anyone give me some info on it? > Sue > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > - > To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: > unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to > [EMAIL PROTECTED] - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
