When I have displayed my English style bobbins on a pillow here at lace days and exhibitions I have threaded a piece of fishing line through the spangles to hold them.

I tie 2 or 3 knots, one on top of the other, at one end so that I can put a glass headed pin through the knots and into the pillow then thread the line through the spangles and secure the other end in the same way, 2 or 3 knots on top of each other and a glass headed pin through the knots into the pillow, adjust the position of the pins at eaither end to the best advantage to show off the splayed out bobbins.

The line is strong and anyone with a mind to take a bobbin home with them is prevented from doing so.

To transport the pillow I have pinned a long piece of Elastic over the bobbins, pinning at intervals, and avoiding pinning through the pricking of course, then pin a cover cloth or two down tightly over the lot. Once the pillow is secured in this way and put in it's carrybag I find that nothing moves. When I put the pillow on it's stand to display it looks good as the fishing line is invisible in amongst the spangles, just the little bit at each end can be seen. If you trim off most the excess line close to the knots it leaves very little to notice.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.