Jenny wrote:

...1871 census shows very few Braybrooks in Keyston, Ancestry.co.uk has the place name indexed as Keystone, and of the women I looked at by that name I only found one 14yr. old girl as a lacemaker called Braybrook. Other Braybrooks were spread around the area at this census. I think the Genuki page above will tell you the Keyston was absorbed into another village or something as time went on so maybe the Braybrooks were living in the same places as before but the place name had begun to be changed as the village boundary was being re-drawn? These census results show the sad decline of the lace making industry though.

Hi: I think the census results also demonstrate how quickly and easily women disappear when they lose their last name through marriage. These women could still have been living in Keyston and making lace but as Mrs. John Smith, not so-and-so Braybrook.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)