Hello Tamara

I avoid the term "whole stitch" for that very reason!

When I was first taught BL the CTC bandage was whole stitch but when it came to making diamond blocks of CTC they were linen stitch whilst the same block worked CT was half stitch. With torchon ground it was either CT pin CT which was called half stitch, pin, half stitch - or it was CTCT pin CTCT which was double half stitch, pin double half stitch.

Since those early days, having read lots of different books and made contact with lots of lacemakers around the world I say/write:
half stitch for CT
cloth stitch for CTC and
double half stitch for CTCT
(read TC, CTC and TCTC if you work the open method)

Ground constructed CTCT p CTCT is what I would call torchon double ground worked as "double half stitch, pin, double half stitch.

In a similar vein, if you read old books you will get very confused about what is roseground, honeycomb ground and virgin ground!

Brenda

So here goes a question: What do you call a ground which is constructed as follows:

Whole Stitch (CTCT, or TCTC), Pin, Whole Stitch?

My Canadian Lacemaking Gazette's "A Guide to Threads for Lacemakers" says one thing, my Stillwell's "Illustrated Dictionary of Lacemaking" says something else entirely. So I'm left, if not actually speechless, then wordless...

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html