Quite often, I use embroidery floss to make lace and need full-length strands. (For example, my current piece is 2 feet x 1.5 feet, and the next one will be bigger.)

I just heard from the owner of Tat's All, the seller of the skein splitter. She's been moving and dealing with a terminally ill husband, but is ready to do business again.