I have a couple of scrimshaw bobbins that I was given, decades and decades ago, by a sailor (the new husband, or about-to-be-husband of a lacemaker), bobbins that he made while he was on a long voyage. They could be made of bone; and they could be made of ivory. I know nothing about scrimshaw, nor what this decoration is applied to. Unlikely to be bone (bone on a long voyage?). And unlikely to be ivory, for obvious reasons ($$). So what could they be?

P.S. I have tried and tried and TRIED, over these many years, to find out who the above-mentioned couple might be. No luck.

Aurelia
Catonsville, Maryland USA