At 03:15 AM 24/05/2008, Brenda Paternoster wrote:

Patsy asked about the writing on the label of a skein of old lace thread she bought in the Honiton Lace Shop some years ago. A scan of the label is at
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/honiton_label.jpg

Hmmmmm - I copied it into PaintshopPro - made it black and white and increased the shadows markedly. Now it certainly looks like the first bit says "An" - which would mean that the next word should start with a vowel. However, the only possibility with which I can come up would be "ogre", and I'm sure that's not it.

Now IF the first word is NOT "An", it's final letter would seem to be the same as the initial letter in the 2nd word, viz. "n". This 2nd word certainly does seem to end with "re", but it' s the 2nd letter which has got me stumped. Can't think of any appropriate letter which descends below the line - g, y, j, p, q,

I give up and am going to bed as I turned into a pumpkin hours ago

David in Ballarat