Ordinarily I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with Barbara Underwood, but in the
case of thread, I disagree with her.  I've made Bedfordshire with Brok,
Egyptian, and Finca.  My lace made with Finca was nice and stiff unwashed, but
after rinsing it in water, drying and pressing it, it turned into soft fuzzy
lace.  Rinse lace made with Brok thread in water, dry it and mangle or press
it, and it is as limp as Egyptian.  The main difference between Brok and
Egyptian, I am convinced, is the sizing.  Finca, I think, is an inferior
thread made with short bits of cotton that has been coated with a strong
sizing that is effective only until the first washing.  I don't use Finca at
all anymore.

This is a subject I've been thinking about for awhile.  I wish I knew what the
thread manufacturers use for sizing.  My handweaving books have some receipes
for sizing and I've been thinking I need to do some experiments.  Like
Barbara, I want stiff Bedfordshire.

Sally Schoenberg
Farmington
New Mexico