On Jul 21, 2008, at 23:58, Elizabeth Ligeti wrote:

I love the smooth silky feel of bone bobbins, - but can't afford them very
often, unfortunately.

Ditto on both -- I adore bone bobbins but can't really aford them. It's just as well that my favourite bobbin maker (Neil Keats, in Oz), who makes my "special T-squares", doesn't work with bone; I'd be too broke to afford thread or pillows :)

Bone bobbins are heavier than wood -- even ebony -- ones, so they tension better. But they're not as heavy as metal ones, so they don't break even very fine thread. They don't need varnish or laquer to finish -- they just get smoother and smoother as they age, without anything peeling off, getting sticky in humid climate or porous from excess hand perspiration. The sound of bone bobbins clicking is surpassed by that of glass ones but, somehow, bone bobbins feel more "alive" to touch, than glass ones ever do.

So, if I had all of "my d'ruthers", I'd rather have only bone bobbins to work with. But I'm happy enough with my wood ones, though I -- definitely -- have preferences as to which woods I like better than others.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to