Hello everyone

This message, and my reply, has just been posted to the Kent Family History Society discussion group. Does anyone know anything about the 19th century England/France lace trade?

Brenda

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 August 2008 22:26:06 BST
To: "Jan Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [KFHS] Textiles

Hello Jan

I'm not the best of lace historians, but I'll forward your message to 'Arachne' an internet lace discussion group, it's very likely to get a few good replies.

Do you know if you are asking about machine made lace or handmade lace?
Can you be more specific than just 19th century?
Where in France might you be interested in? The traditional lacemaking areas of France include Bayeux, Calais, Lille, Chantilly, Dieppe, le Puy, Valenciennes....

and there's your Kent link - Valenciennes is twinned with Chatham!

Brenda