Dear Susan and others interested,
 
May I recommend a book to you?   
 
"The Needleworker's Companion" by Shay Pendray, 1-931499-07-1, published by  
Interweave Press (which also publishes PieceWork Magazine).  I met Shay  when 
we took the same EGA teacher certification course  together almost 40 years 
ago.   She owns a retail needlework shop  in Michigan, has taught 
internationally, traveled widely, written books,  and hosts/produces a PBS 
(American TV 
Channel) series called Needle  Arts Studio.
 
This 112-page spiral-bound book is about needlework, and has a heap of  
information about threads and techniques that apply to many other needlearts  - 
including lace - if you think about what you are reading and apply  it to 
lacemaking problems.  It is small and will fit in your tote  bag.
I recommend you read just 5 pages a night and think about them.  In  less 
than a month you will have read the book, and by reading only 5 pages,  you'll 
have had plenty of time to make lace.
 
Go to _www.interweave.com_ (http://www.interweave.com)     Put  
"Needleworker's Companion" in the search box at top right.  Find the book  by 
Shay Pendray.
 
Or you can Google "Shay Pendray".  The 5th entry (of over 14,000 about  her) 
is a book review.
 
Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
In a message dated 9/8/2008 1:50:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I always  worked x-stitch over 1 to get that petit point look because I can't 
stand that  bunched up look you get over 2. (Did I mention that I'm not fond 
of  x-stitch!?!)  Well duh--that's why--but hey--who's got time to fiddle  
with a laying tool for such a soporific technique?  As to mixing threads,  
anyone 
who has stitched with/cussed at Kreinik blending filament will  
agree--BUT--sometimes I've gotten some lovely shading by mixing threads in the  
needle.  
I've only tried this with cotton & have not yet done this  with lace--but I do 
wonder whether 2 low-twist threads could be twisted  together, a la the 
Japanese method of twisting flat silk??  They also  twist high-twist silks 
together 
at the JEC but the result is quite squirrelly  & intended for couching.  Susan  
    







**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, 
plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.      
(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to