---- Clay Blackwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: 
Someone else mentioned using quilting batting between the block and the block 
cover.  This would work well too, I think...  as long as you get a good quality 
cotton batting that doesn't have slubs of cotton chaff in it and is not thick.  
Some battings are synthetic, and quite high-loft, and these would be entirely 
unsuitable, imo.-----

I would think even cotton batting would be too "squishy".  I would worry that 
the pricking could "wobble" as if on an uneven surface, distorting the lace.  
However, I admit I haven't tried it.  Perhaps a good, strong cardstock or 
pricking card would be stiff enough to prevent that.

There is an alternative, though--craft fleece.  This is NOT the stuff that 
sweat shirts are made of, and it's NOT polar fleece.  It's usually sold where 
the batting is, and looks like really thin batting but feels like really thick 
felt or flannel.  I've used it for padding styrofoam balls to make temari 
(Japanese embroidered balls).  It's about as thick as a wool blanket but easier 
to come by (and no worries about moths, crickets, and other wool-eating 
beasties).

My suggestion for working on a too-large pillow:  if you can handle what it 
does to the bobbins (they will tend to collect in a pile), I'd recommend laying 
the front of the pillow in your lap and propping the back on a table.  This not 
only brings the work area closer to your body, it brings it down toward your 
elbows and hands.  Propping up the back while the whole pillow is still on the 
table will still have the work area quite a distance away unless you prop it 
very steeply, but that will put the work area too high.  By the way, I remember 
an Arachnean showing a picture of her pillow--it was a cookie, but she had it 
vertically on a stand, and worked at it standing up.  Personally, I don't like 
my bobbins doing square dances while they're waiting to be handled, which is 
why I don't use a bolster.  However, many people do use bolsters, so they must 
not be bothered by this.  It's certainly worth a try.  

But Clay's suggestion is the best, imo.  Move to a block pillow (store-bought 
or home-made) before you curse the project to lace-hell.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to