I have the edition of "Spangles and Superstitions" that was published in 1987. It was published by C&D Springett, and there is an interesting story at the very end of the book about the possible end of Harry Armstrong's equipment...someone told the Springett's that when space was needed for storage during WWII, that ten truckloads of equipment were removed and dumped in some nearby sandpits! (another person says they were burned). The different recollections in the story were about an event that had happened just about 40 years earlier. (Write down your memories!)

Would love to know what happened to all those patterns and bobbins! (as well as the pillow, pillow horse, and bobbins that the lad threw into the pond in the illustration in "Romance of the Lace Pillow") I wonder if they were special bobbins, like mother & babes, or if they were utilitarian type bobbins, just to keep lacemakers supplied with something if they needed it.

I remember Lia Baumeister was given some bobbins that had been discovered when they were digging during work in Amsterdam. Maybe one day, someone will discover a treaure trove of similar English bobbins that have survived at the bottom of a dried up pond or a sand pit... sigh

Debbie in Florida