Prayers were quoted? What prayer? I missed that. I talked about a lacemaker named Zelie Martin who went to lace school as an adult in the mid-19th century, had her own business as a single woman for seven years, then married and continued the business while bearing nine children, four of whom died. She continued running her lace shop and industry until she died of breast cancer, a very drawn-out and painful death at that time. She has come to public notice because the Catholic church recently recognized her as a holy woman, too. A cottage industry lacemaker has been raised to international recognition.
What in the world is wrong with that? Then the other posts: UK history has developed such that saints were taken as patrons for all kinds of activities, including lacemaking, and there are lots of popular observances, recipes, fairs, etc. in their honor. What in the world is wrong with noticing that? Many kinds of lace were propagated, taught and preserved by nuns in monasteries. Maybe we should ignore that bit of lace history? I'm not particularly interested in theme-detective fiction, even if it has a lace theme, but I certainly did not feel it necessary to write a nasty, calumnious note about people who write or read such books. And make no mistake. The first "anti" post on this topic of a lacemaking saint (N.B. She was beatified, not canonized, and is thus not considered a "saint" yet) was indeed nasty. It would have been calumnious if it hadn't been patently clear that person who wrote had no idea what she was talking about. I am disgusted with the tone of some of the posts I have read today, and if I didn't love lace so much, I'd just quit the list. But I do love making lace and learning about lace so I'll will ignore the bad odor of bigotry and just concentrate of the lovely smell of wooden bobbins and the beautiful activity of wrapping thread around air. Sr. Claire On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM, renee ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > I think it might be quite possible to relate historical facts about a > saint's life without wandering too far into the praying bit - - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
