Sounds OK (apart from caraway seed which I don't much like) but the background research is a bit off - I thought it was a Bedfordshire speciality, nothing to do with Nottingham - and there certainly weren't any Nottingham lacemakers around in Tudor times!

I've found another very different recipe for Catherine Cakes (or Kattern Cakes) in a 1960s cook book:

"So called after Catherine of Aragon, the Queen who used to live at Ampthill Castle. Ampthill was a favourite lacemaking district, and Catherine was very interested in it. Catherine cakes were specially made for November 25th, St Catherine's Day"

2 lb dough
1 egg
2 oz sugar
A few caraway seeds
2 oz butter

Dough made with yeast, as for bread. Knead well with butter, caraway seeds, sugar and egg. Leave to rise in a warm place for two hours. Place on a floured baking tin and bake in a moderate oven for 2-3 hours.

Brenda

On 22 Oct 2008, at 22:04, Clay Blackwell wrote:

Hi Bev -

I suppose we'll need to move further discussion of the cakes to the chat list, but here's a link which shows the same recipe and some pictures... they look a lot like oatmeal cookies or chocolate chip cookies to me... (small photos...)

http://www.recipezaar.com/266901

Clay

bev walker wrote:
Hi everyone

What are "Cattern Cakes" supposed to look and taste like? e.g. are they supposed to be crisp? crumbly? soft? do they really look like pinwheels? mine haven't been) I have tried to convert the English recipe to N. American measures, and haven't yet had a particularly tasty nor attractive result.
I've quite a few references to the recipe, but never a picture with.
I suppose being that they were a special treat for those who seldom had sweets or baking, in times past it wouldn't matter what the cakes looked
like as long as they were a change from plain fare.

Our flours and rising agents aren't quite the same, and should I soak the
dried currants first?

I'm asking because I thought they would be nice to serve on a platter lined with a handmade lace doily (with clear film over the doily) to take to the next lace meeting. But not if they are going to fall apart like the batch I
tried last year :(



-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to