Dear Friends,
After working on a petit point portrait for the past 10 months, I finally got back to doing some BL yesterday. As I leave for 3 weeks up in the Northern Territory of Australia on Nov 9th, I needed to get something started to take with me. So I've begun the most gorgeous square edging in Point de Lille from that fabulous book called "Ecke" (p.72 for those who have it). I'm working it in some beautiful fine black silk (about equal to Pipers 2/20) but this came from Spain. Only had to wind about 160 bobbins, but that merely took the time to watch a double episode of "The Bill" and one other show :)

Now, as I've been working ALL day on it today (I'd almost forgotten just how addictive BL can be) I started to think about things I might be doing that others may not be. Probably numerous small techniques, but one which I may have made up myself (along with numerous other folk no doubt) is this.

Because the pricking, and hence thread, are so fine, I use those brass Withof pins which are only about half an inch (1.25 cm) long. They work perfectly well. However, I notice I get a much lovelier effect if, when it comes to the picots on the edge I use an ordinary sized lace pin. These have a larger diameter and really show off the picot.

I also use these ordinary sized pins (which happen to be silver coloured) at the starting edge. Admittedly some of these are in the point ground, but others can be on the edge of a half stitch filling of a flower, or even in a honeycomb section. I find that when the piece is finished and it comes to doing sewings to join end to beginning, it's much easier having these slightly larger holes.

Just thought this might be of use to someone out there, as I can't say I've read it in any books.
David in Ballarat