Gentle Spiders,
Between Jenny's lace card, and a rather irreverent "release from Holiday Cheer"
card I received from a friend, I finally got over my funk, bought a tree,
pulled out the ornaments and decorated this afternoon and evening.  OK, so I
didn't add lights outside, that would be pushing the limit.  Anyway, in pulling
things out of the garage, I got my German nutcracker, who has been packed away
and not seen the light of day for a few years.

For those of you who don't remember... I live in the suburbs of New Orleans,
and although my house didn't flood in Katrina, my garage did (about a foot).
My Christmas ornaments were packed away in a cardboard box well above the flood
water, which I discovered much to my horror had become a roach condominium.  I
washed most of my ornaments, and packed in plastic boxes with borax those that
couldn't be washed.  I washed all my crocheted and bobbin lace ornaments, which
are still curled in balls waiting for me to restarch them.

Anyway, as I was unpacking my German nutcracker this evening, there draped on
one of his arms was a bobbin lace snowflake ornament that I had made, still
nicely starched.  I was so thrilled!  The ornament is now on my tree, where my
Nutcracker Hero can see what he kept safe these years.

I finally had the courage to look in the other boxes, and have had to throw
some ornaments out, the bugs had eaten them, and they're rather tattered and
sad.  Maybe this year I'll even face restarching my crochet and BL snowflakes
so I can have them on my tree next year.

I know it's just a little thing, sometimes I wonder how people cope who lost
everything.  Thanks for listening.

Beth McCasland
where the south wind has ruled for a week, keeping things warm and muggy.  But
tomorrow the north wind will be back.