First, wet the piece of linen (lace or handwoven fabric), damp out most
of the water by rolling the item loosely in a cotton towel. Lay the lace flat
on a hard surface, roll it hard with a rolling pin, let it dry where it is. The
idea is to flatten while applying pressure. When it is dry, voila!  The linen
lace has a "linen hand", the threads are shiny and supple, and the design just
pops out.  My lace has never needed any ironing after mangling.  My handwovens
sometimes do need a touch
of ironing.

Most of my dishtowels are linen from Germany, they can be quite long, and I
can't mangle them flat in one go.  So, I loosely roll up the top and start the
mangle from the bottom.  When I've finished a section, I pull it down and let
it hang straight from the edge of the kitchen counter while I unroll from the
top.  Mangle another section, pull down, unroll the top, and mangle some more.

I've never done a large tablecloth.  My mangling place is a kitchen island, so
I could hang parts over different edges of the counter.  I would definitely
mangle it but I think it would take some experimenting to figure it out.  I've
seen electric mangles and the width can be small.  I've heard that large linen
items are folded and mangled in that case but I haven't any direct experience
with it.

Peggy Osterkamp has a section in her weaving book III on finishing linen.
She describes mangling in detail, and she also talks about pounding linen.
I've never
seen anyone do that so I don't know anything about pounding as a finishing
process.  I also have a Vav magazine (the Swedish handweaving magazine) with an
article about pounding linen, with photos.

I had made quite a bit of linen lace years ago but was very disappointed in
its appearance and I quit using linen thread for lace.  When I first heard
about mangling in a weaving class, a big light bulb lit up inside my head, or
should I say, exploded inside my head. As soon as I walked back in my door at
home, I got that lace out, and mangled it. That finishing step was exactly what
my lace was missing.  I'm really very
pleased now with my linen lace and I'm using linen thread again.

One more story, if you can bear with me...  I mangled some linen lace at the
Montreal IOLI convention, if I remember correctly.  The lace had just come off
the pillow.  I showed the unmangled lace to EVERYONE I could find.  I wanted
witnesses!  I mangled it during the teacher showcase.  When it dried, again I
stopped everyone I encountered, showed them the finished lace, and invited them
to feel it.  So, if any of you need a testimonial, surely someone on the list
remembers that lace!

Sally
New Mexico