On 23 Mar 2009, at 15:27, Carolina de la Guardia wrote:

Yes, she explains that she bases her works on ancient native South American knotting art. She is originary of Xile.

I would guess that she was inspired by  pre-Colombian quipu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu

The Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino in Santiago has some magnificent quipus in their collection.

http://www.precolombino.cl/es/english/permanentes/andesdelsur/quipu.php
http://mod.precolombino.cl/mods/expo_temporales/detalle/43/

On the last website above, you'll see a ghostly "I-don't-know-what" on the bottom left hand corner of the picture. Run your cursor over that and a menu will appear. Click on fotos.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot