I completely agree with many points on here. I started lessons thinking that if I had the first 4 all day classes which was actually the equivalent of 10 weeks at 2 hours per week, I expected to understand how to prepare the pillow and the bobbins and do the stitches to get started and then I could go back to the book I didn't understand very well, <g> It was soon clear I needed more than that. By the end of my first 4 lessons I had two tiny bits of unpresentable trial pieces and a pattern to try (tape bells). I did one, beginning on one lesson working at home and taking it back to the last lesson for help with part of it. I did manage a presentable bell (expected it to look terrible looking now but its OK:-) I was hooked and changed to a different teacher and class which was 2 hour per week for 10 week term and did about 4 years until she retired. The two hour lessons suited me much better I could learn a bit, go home and practise and get back the following week for a recheck, and the next bit. I managed to work many pieces during the course of my time with her. If someone had told me it was Very challenging I might never have gone. If someone had told me I would need many more lessons than the first four, I might not have gone.
I am so pleased that I did.
I dont consider myself a quick learner, I need the basics well and a good understanding of that. I can read instructions time and time again, sometimes understanding and sometimes not. When I first learned I used to spend many hours looking through the books I had looking and it like a road map, learning which stitch was done first and where next. I would photocopy bits of pattern very big and spend time putting lines in where I thought the pattern went from piece to piece. It has helped me work out things without others being around to advise me.
Sue T

It is interesting to note that two of the class descriptions emphasize the
simplicity of making bobbin lace.

I completely understand the necessity for quelling the fear that most people
feel when they contemplate learning bobbin lace, since overcoming this
rather formidable obstacle is necessary if you are going to have a class at all. Personally, I have talked a lot of people into trying it with such soothing words. I have also been in classes where people arrive absolutely convinced that once they learn the equivalent of a knit and a purl, or a single and double crochet, they will be off on their way to making table cloths such as those
that  adorned their grandmothers' homes. When reality hits home, it can be
rather ugly. I am thinking of two people in particular. But after the initial realization that it was not yards of lace, but rather inches that they would be
making, they did stay on.
Of course, many of us, self included, are in an age group such that, by the time we can pursue bobbin lace, we are saying, "I used to be a fast learner."
:-(

Devon