Alex,

I agree too, it's very unprofessional as a teacher not to offer all of your knowledge. If you have bright students who are interested in the subject there are bound to be times when they ask something you don't know. Providing you either make every effort to find out, or encourage the student to find out for themselves that's OK. It could be that the query is "Why do you do something this way? what happens if you don't". Often trying it the other way is the best way of learning why something is done.

As for getting 'bums on seats' over the years I've seen that happen with other crafts too. One jewellery tutor from years ago always tried to ensure that his students never finished a piece of work at the end of a term so that they had to go back the next in order to use the equipment. (very few students have annealing facilities or polishing equipment at home)

I started teaching BL way back in the early 1980s - because the teacher was retiring and there was no-one else around to take over her classes. I remember asking her "do you think I could do it?" and the reply was "well you can start and you can finish, and you can wangle it when it goes wrong!" What I think she meant was that I didn't rely on her starting every piece - which many of her students did and I think she encouraged them to, to be sure that they didn't take on something she couldn't do herself.

Wangling is sorting out a mess, not necessarily undoing the mistake(s) but compensating by perhaps leaving out a pair less or a pair more somewhere else to get all the pairs back to the correct places - not good practice!

Sometimes if a beginner got into a muddle she would take their pillow home to sort it out before the next lesson. She only did that to me once and when it came back the carefully marked workers had become passives. I think that was a deliberate action, but I learnt more from undoing it again to get back to where they had been switched over. That was as a pretty raw beginner; I don't bother about winding in matching pairs now. Work a few pieces with half stitch and you get used to all the bobbins moving around independently of the original partner.

Brenda