It's sort of a double reef knot: right thread/fishing line/what-have- you over the left and under and over the left and under again. Pull tight. (The knot won't slip while you do the second part.) Then left thread over the right and under and over the right and under. Pull tight. Again, the knot won't slip. Run the threads through several beads and cut off.

Fishing line is readily available in different weights. I get mine at a shop that specializes in supplies for people who tie their own flies. (You should see the selection of feathers and colourful threads for sale.) They charge C$0.05 a metre, but when I ask for only 10 metres, they usually give it to me free.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot