Dear Jenny,
I've worked that hanky pattern and found the different approach to working a hanky edging fascinating. For those that haven't seen it - it is worked top to bottom like a mat - not around - starting at one corner and working diagonally across to the opposite corner - adding pairs on the outside and throwing out on the footside in the top half and the reverse of the lower half. The lovely thing is that there isn't a join at the end - just a few pairs to sew in!! I've played with the idea with a number of Australian Wildflowers as it solved my design problems getting motifs to work the way I wanted to!

I guess I didn't read the instructions and am working it in the usual way. In doing so, however, I'm finding heaps of occasions when I'm forced to use Elwyn Kenn's "Looper" technique. I'm halfway through turning the first corner and frankly am about to throw away the working diagram and just making it up myself. Might be forced to yet :)
Thanks
David in Ballarat