Sue Babbs wrote

> I have also used thin sheets of Foam (about 1/8 inch thick) in this way,
> with considerable success.

But if you have to buy it, in the UK anyway, then it's could well be
another example of Brenda's comment.  We don't have Michaels here, and
Hobbycraft
(our equivalent) is not so inexpensive.  You will need to cost it out well,
otherwise you will find that you are spending as much money (and a lot of
time) on the cure, when it would be far more satisfactory to buy a new pillow.

Depending on the size of the worn patch, you may find that you can use the
pillow a couple more time to make an edging, where the pricking surrounds
the soft area rather than crossing it.  Or it may be alright for another piece
or two if you choose one that uses thicker pins (and therefore heavier
thread) than you usually use, or just push your pins in a little further than
normal.

What I would say though is to take measures to make your new pillow last
longer.  Buy and uncoverd one, and first of all use a couple of layers of the
felt suggested previously as a cure to your problem, as a prevention
instead.  This will stop your pins penetrating so deeply while still giving a
good
grip.

If you make a variety of lace, use it first of all for those that use fine
pins.  Avoid using thick divider pins on a polystyrene pillow, and although
you should use heavier pins to pin your cover cloth so you can stretch it
tightly, make sure that these pins are pushed in on the vertical face of the
very edge, not on the top of the pillow at all.

If you choose the shape of cookie pillow that has a bigger flat top rather
than a domed one, and you make a lot of bookmarks and similar, you can often
position the pricking slightly off centre to use as much of the area as
possible.

When it becomes softish for fine pin lace, use it for the heavier laces
such as Torchon and Cluny where you use thicker pins, and also push them in a
bit further.  Sound familiar?  Here we are around the full circle.

And of course, if you get a block pillow, you have both sides of the blocks
to wear out.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire