There was a reference in an archeological book, possibly the one by Mary
Beaudry, to a lace pillow found thrown down a privy in the Five Points
section  of New York. I think it was during the mid 1800's when the area served
as
 one with many saloons and houses of prostitution. In fact, I got the
original  book about the excavation out of the library in an attempt to learn
more about it. It seemed to be the surmise of the scholars that prostitutes
did  piecework, and pursued needle trades like other immigrants, while waiting
 for clients and that this may have been the lace pillow of a prostitute.
As we  know, there was a great deal of prostitution while the west was being
settled,  particularly in mining towns, so this might be an angle to work
while  demonstrating in our western states. It was not necessarily the
virtuous women,  denied equipment more bulky than a tatting shuttle, who were
the
bobbin  lacemakers.

Earlier in the day, I spent some fruitless time trying to figure out what
political entity the lace making regions of what was later Belgium, such as
Antwerp, belonged to during the period when the Dutch were settling
Rockland  County, NY and Bergen County, NJ  during the 1600s. I finally gave
up.
Possibly it was the Spanish Netherlands. However, I do believe that there
was a migration of Protestant craft workers to the Dutch Republic after the
invasion by the Duke of Alba in the late 16th century, and the religious
persecution that followed it. Tapestry workers, for instance, were very often
Protestants. I am not sure whether this adds any clarification as to whether
 people can demonstrate lace at historical properties in Bergen (first
settled in 1633) and Rockland Country with a clear conscience. However,
Nicholas Maes, who is considered a Dutch painter and spent much of his life in
Amsterdam (1634-1693) painted the picture of "The Lacemaker" which hangs at
the Met, so I think you could make the case that the Dutch people who
inhabited  Rockland and Bergen county may have made lace, even in the absence
of
any  artifacts.

Devon