Dear Jeri -- So interesting even if it may be a bit of old hat to embroiderers like us! The title of the old book does get to me somewhat ("WeibStickereien" -- "Weib" means female; "Stickereien" means embroideries). This particular female made a pulled-work sampler some thirty years ago, which I will be proud to show you when you come to Maryland in 2011 for the convention. I went on from white and did it in red and gold work, and it still pleases me hugely.

Thank you for the delightful book review!

Aurelia
Catonsville, Maryland

Embroidered with White - The 18th century fashion for Dresden lace and other whiteworked accessories By Heather Toomer, with drawings & patterns by Elspeth Reed
Published by Heather Toomer Antique Lace
2008, paper cover, 180 pages
Cover price 19.75 English pounds
ISBN 978-0-9542730-2-6
Ordering info in separate memo, sent today

Dear Lace Historians and Costumers on _l...@arachne_ (mailto:l...@arachne) ,

Once in a while a book comes along for which there is no equal, such as "Embroidered with White", by Heather Toomer, published in English. Many of
us who could not read the German language  "Dresdner Spitzen - Point de Saxe
- Virtuose WeiBstickereien des  18.Jahrhunderts" by Ruth Bleckwenn  (which I
mentioned in a review  dated  July 28, 2003 ) will be thrilled to have this
new book.
(At  _http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html) search for "Point de
Dresden", to find my earlier comments on this subject and  the German language
book.)

In lace, we use categories as descriptors: Bobbin, Needle, Tatting, Crochet, Tambour, etc. In embroidery, there are categories as well. One of
them is Whitework which applies to diverse techniques embroidered in  white
thread on white foundation fabric.  The finished embroidered product  is
sometimes combined with lace. It can be a challenge to see where embroidery ends
and lace begins!  And because many white  embroideries are called lace,
there is some confusion.  (Limerick,  Carrickmacross, and even Tambouring are
examples - all have a pre-existing  foundation fabric.)

In this book, very detailed captions and text are most instructive in that (by example) they instruct on how to study, analyze, and compare to needlelaces.

This embroidery was often made to emulate the effect of lace,  without
violating sumptuary laws that forbade the wearing of lace by  classes beneath
royalty.  Most of the costume accessories are stitched  by a technique known
in both the lace and embroidery communities as Dresden work  or Point de
Dresden.  This embroidery was on a transparent even weave white  fabric.  Some
threads in the base fabric were withdrawn and others were  deflected by use
of embroidery stitches that were so tight they left the visual  effect of
being lace.

Such a wealth of information is easier to absorb in small doses.  I  read
this book over a period of 3 weeks, at times using a magnifier to closely examine the many photos. All the photos, drawings and diagrams are very clear.
This is not a how-to instruction book.  Titles for instruction  books today
usually refer to "pulled work" or "drawn/withdrawn work", and  classes are
most likely offered by embroiderers' guilds.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center