Likely this is already in the collection--the book has been out for a few years--but I've only just gotten around to reading it and now that I've recovered, dried my eyes, and picked myself up off the floor beside the sofa, I just had to share:

"What's the most expensive pin ever made commercially, Stanley?" said Moist quickly.

It was like pulling a lever. Stanley's expression went from agonized grief to scholarly cogitation in an instant.

"Commercially? Leaving aside those special pins made for exhibitions and trade shows, including the Great Pin of 1899, then probably it is the No. 3 Broad-headed 'Chicken' Extra Longs made for the lace-making market by the noted pinner Josiah Doldrum, I would say. They were hand-drawn and had his trademark silver head with a microscopic engraving of a cockerel. It's believed that fewer than a hundred were made before his death, sir. According to Hubert Spider's Pin Catalogue, examples can fetch between fifty and sixty-five dollars, depending on condition. A No. 3 Broad-headed Extra Long would grace any true pinhead's collection."

-- Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Su, recovering from her unexpected overdose of endorphins

Williamsburg, VA