To all,

please be awere of the fact that these days machine lace can overcome this problem of picots and edges

there is the possibility to use watersolube thread on the parts where you normaly should do the cutting of the differend peaces of
machiend laces
and it is no longer valid that possitions of thread nr 1 cant go to possition nr 5000 in one and the same "row" of work in the modern machines they can promtly change possitions of threads like you should do on your pillow
the reason they do not do it is because it takes time
and we all know time is money
but for the highend market  it is done

so you can make lace peaces on these machiens and then just water it and hocuspocus pats you have the several differend peaces
no cutted  threads.....
only strangely looking picots
but this is not a real problem in normal live
because if her ladyship is wearing a scarf well draped over her voluptous bozem
no one will dare to go look close and ask "is this a normal picot?"
well I wood not do it...

i did not look to the picots
i only looked suspicious to the woven linnen parts
wich seems for me to be to "open" and in a bizare way spaced intervals inbetween

and i do not agree to the assuption that the ends are taken """"always""""" care of
yes you might do that but look to what is there to find in most shops
look to the horrors hanign in citys like Brugge Gent Antwerp Brussel......
i m born and raised in Brugge and looked all my life to it
i almost got bad eyes because of it
so BAADDDDDDD

or is this a wrong assuption of me?

please feel always free to correct me
i do not bite very hard....

francis

Alice Howell schreef:
I'll give a try on this.

First, the lace shawl on eBay had a strip of machine made picots (little loops) sewn on the edges to imitate the picots on handmade lace that are an extension of the edge stitches. Depending on the lace, the handmade loops can be made with one thread or with two threads twisted together.

Some machine made laces are made with a woven background and these are usually made in quantity and attached together. When they are cut apart, it leaves single thread ends sticking out all around. I don't know of any handmade laces that have single threads sticking out. Bobbin lace is made with pairs, and great care is taken to finish off the ends so they do not stick out. Needlelace techniques hide the thread ends.

Alice in Oregon