Where you are talking about is presumably as you pass from side to side
over a vertical gimp.  Sometimes the gimp is 'vertical' for only one pin hole
(as on a six hole honey comb ring), sometimes for several (on lozenge shapes,
for example).

If you don't do this stitch as a catch pin, the ground stitch with its
uncovered pin, will move sideways towards the gimp and compress the gimp
against
the honeycomb stitches.  By doing the catch pin, the gimp has its own
space.

This is how I was taught it by Pat Read, and how I have always taught it to
others.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire