I concur with Patty, as it is hairpin lace principled, appearing that you wrap
the hairpin bars/tool, and then crochet chain up the middle of it, connecting
all, and then slide it off.  It would go very fast, and fun with loads of
colors and textures, etc.  Here is a link showing traditional hairpin lace.
http://www.skeinlane.com/images/HairpinLace.jpg
All these older techniques from broomstick lace, hairpin lace, and tunisian
crochet (and all it variable stitch techniques) are enjoying a resurgence.
 Tools are re-emerging as new productions.  Denise even made a crochet cable
kit as afghan hooks are hard to get unless you inherited some from family,
friends, or yard sales.  Many are working narrow pieces and using traditional
crochet hooks, and crochet overall is on the upswing.
Loads of fun!  All taking me away from a focus on making bobbin, tape and
needle lace...
Susan Reishus