"(put) pussy in, with her forefeet straight down, so that they were
fastened, and could not scratch, and we gave her a teaspoonful of
currant-jelly in which (your ladyship must excuse me) I had mixed some
tartar emetic."
Not only was the lace saved, but also the life of the cat, as "string" and
intestines aren't compatible.
Buttermilk was a revelation!  You think it is true?  The fermented quality of
the O2, which is used as leavening, was perhaps a remote cousin to enzyme and
oxygen cleaners of today?  I am not a chemist, but layman's take, overly
simplified; cleansing, softening and resultant stiffening?  Is this valid
info, or a spin from the screen/playwright?
Best,Susan Reishus