Hi Karen
I was told a more precise definition by the lady who gave me a taster day
in Honiton many many years ago, and several years before I studied it first
with Pat Read and then Pat Perryman.

I was told partly raised is basically flat work, except all the sewings are
done as top sewings, leaving the clean footside edge lines slightly proud
on the right side.  This makes a bigger difference to the piece of lace than
you would think.

Raised work is when ribs are used, for example up one side of a leaf, and
the cloth or half stitch is sewn into it on the return journey.  What I don't
think it tells you in the books, but the teachers do, face to face, is that
unless you are absolutely confident with sewings, twist your leader four
times before the edge stitch, pin, work the edge stitch as usual then put a
fourth twist on the returning leader.  This extra twist makes the pinhole
slightly larger and helps offset the way the rib pinholes tend to close up,
probably because the work isn't supported on the other edge.

Rolled work is when you carry a bundle of threads from one place to
another, sewing them along the edge of existing work.  It can be done for
purely
functional purposes, purely decorative or a combination.  Unlike Withof and
Milanese, these rolls are mainly "inside" the work, whereas in the other two
laces the roll outlines the design features and is as commonly found on the
outside edge as within the design.  So, in Honiton you may work half a leaf,
sew the bundle of threads along the vein side of the leaf to get all the
pairs back to the top, and then work the second half of the leaf over the back
of the bundle, which disappears for the time being until you turn the
finished work over - TaDa.

Raised work makes pinholes for the next piece to sew into, rolled work
needs pinholes already there.  Sometimes the two are used in combination, most
commonly for leaf veins, where an off-shoot rib is worked at an angle to the
main one, and then a roll bring the pairs back again.  Later cloth or half
stitch is worked over the back of the whole caboocle.

Enjoy your Honiton lacemaking
Jacquie in Lincolnshire